Saturday, June 16, 2012

Storm Warning

They came, both of them. Eris and Father - though I'm not sure if I should even consider them different beings anymore. It's quite clear that Father's under Eris's control. It's that glassy look in his previously striking eyes... It's rather disturbing.

Eris was the same as before - she pretended to be nice, but I could detect an undertone to every one of her sentences, I could see her eyes narrow whenever she looked at me...

Our conversation drifted to the recent 'heat wave' in the city. I could practically hear the smugness in Eris's voice. It seems she really thinks that what she's doing is leaving an affect on my mind. Of course, I'm pretending it is. The less she knows about my emotions, the better.

I showed her all of my apartment - it's rather messy, but I don't really care about what she thinks about it, or anyone else for that matter. Eris seemed to be interested in my books. She handled them with utmost care - I suppose that books are one of the few things she actually cares about, which is eerily similar to how I am.

Once we managed to get to a place where Father couldn't hear us, Eris - once again - pressed me about my decision. I had to forcefully suppress the urge to tell her that I'd never give in - after all, that would be contrary to the act I'm putting on. So I pretended to be indecisive, but leaning towards giving in. I could see she thought she knew what I was thinking, thought I was breaking down...

I couldn't help but think that maybe she believed me because I actually was, inside.

I asked Eris what I'd been wondering for awhile, but was too wary to ask. Why didn't she force me to give in with her telepathy or whatever it is?

Eris skirted around the answer a bit - it was clear she was uncomfortable with the answer - but I got the gist that she couldn't. I had to decide of my own free will, not that she couldn't try to push me in the direction she wanted.

When I asked her why this was, she just said, "It's something too... deep for you, my child." Then she smiled as if she'd made a clever joke.

Finally, Eris went back to Father, but not before informing me that the so-called 'Decision Point' would be reached tomorrow.

It's apparent what this means.

Tomorrow I join Eris or die.

At least, that's what she thinks.

I've thought, pondered, considered,  and now I know what to do. An act I might die from.

Watch out, Eris, because a storm's on its way.

No comments:

Post a Comment