Sunday, June 17, 2012

Decision Point, Part II

I stepped out onto the stairs, black as night, moaning under my every step. I climbed and climbed up the red brick building, determination conveyed in every action I made.

Finally I reached the roof, coughing as wisps of smog curled around my nostrils, covering my eyes, which were already starting to burn and tear up. I moved out into the open, and only then did I dare  move my hands away.

The roof was stained with oil and ash, fire still burning in some parts of it. Long, steel pipes emerged from the ground along with a great brick chimney, smoke issuing from every opening. Wrapped around whatever it could get a hold on were iron chains, rusted but strong. They clinked against the roof in the hot breeze. The red morning sun beat down on me in the orange sky, sweat starting to bead my forehead.

And in the center of the roof was Eris, dressed in a white veil and dress, appearing as if she was ready for a wedding. One of her gloved hands pushed the veil away from her face, and I immediately noticed that her eyes were bright orange, and her pupils were much smaller than they should be.

"Hello, Misery," Eris said with a catlike smile, gesturing to her surroundings, "and welcome to the Grove of Fetters."

No comments:

Post a Comment