Saturday, June 9, 2012

One day, when we met again

I met my father again today.

The drive over to his house wasn't a very long one - I had got there in nearly an hour. However, I must've hovered outside his house for years, trying to decide whether or not to go in. I still hadn't decided whether or not I'd tell him about my job. I didn't want him to be disappointed in me...

Eventually I decided to go in. He's my father, after all... I couldn't just say I was going and then never show up.

He was really glad to see me again. We talked a lot about what I've been doing since getting out of college, and about stuff like the upcoming Olympics and the people running for president... It was nice to see him again. And we also went to the lake once more. To watch the sunset, like we did so many years before.

The whole time, Father seemed distracted, as if there was something nagging on his mind. I could see it in his eyes.

I worked up the courage to ask him what was on his mind. He said, "Well... You know how your mother has... passed away?"

I nodded, sort of guessing where he was going with this.

"Well, I've been thinking of marrying someone. In fact, they're already here. At the house. That's part of the reason why I asked you to come here. You know, to meet her."

My eyes widened in surprise. "You- she's- really- you're- she's here already?"

Father nodded. "In the attic. I set up a bed in there. I told her she could sleep in the guest room, but she was pretty dead-set on sleeping in the attic."

"Who is she? What's her name?"

"Well, she actually wanted to introduce herself in person." When I began to get up, he said, "She's sleeping right now. I wouldn't bug her right now. Don't worry, you'll see her in the morning."

That was when the sun began to set over the horizon. We turned to it, and watched the last light of day creep away, replaced by the darkness of night.

No comments:

Post a Comment