Sunday, June 10, 2012

Eris

I woke up to the warming rays of the sun being cast onto my skin. It took my eyes a minute to register the brightness; the blinding glare made it impossible to place the position of the sun, and therefore impossible to tell what time it was. The guest room has no clock, digital or otherwise; that is one of the things I like about it: the room seems almost timeless.

After awhile I realized that I'd have to get out of bed; something easier said than done, as the covers were so warm. I lifted myself to the ground and crept to the door, the old floorboards, covered with dust, creaking with each step I took.

I went down the stairs and into the tiny little kitchen, one built for only four, maybe five people. My father was already there - along with another person. I couldn't see her face, only the back of her plain yet regal white shirt and her flowing flaming-orange hair.

Even before the woman turned around I could tell who she was.

"Hello, Misery. I've... heard a lot about you."

Eris.

Her name almost left my lips, but then I stopped myself. My father didn't know of our meeting long ago. I'd never told anyone about that. It was best my father didn't know.

Father said to me, "Good morning, Misery. Ah... This is my soon-to-be bride, Eris."

I looked into her eyes - still oddly shiny, almost impossible to assign a color to - and said to her with a straight face, "I'm pleased to meet you for the... first time." I made sure to copy the tone of voice she used when she greeted me.

Eris gave me an odd smile, the smile of a person who knows you're teasing them, and isn't afraid to tease back. "I'm sure that we'll be very nice and cooperative with each other."

"Yes, yes. I'm sure we'll be best of friends."

We have so much fun together.

"I'm glad that you two are getting along," Father said to us. "I was worried that you wouldn't like her."

He didn't say anything else, but I could tell what he wanted to add onto that. After my mother.

Father thought I would be worried that Eris would become cold and detached like Mother had. However, the truth is that I can't project the way Mother was onto her. Around Mother, the temperature seemed to drop into the negatives. However, Eris seemed to make everything warm. A rough, intelligent warmth, yes, but she was certainly not cold, and especially not detached.

Eris asked, "Misery, would you like to maybe take a walk with me sometime later? After noon, maybe?"

I was about to say no - walks aren't really my thing - but then a voice cut through my mind. It felt as if a blood vessel in my head had burst. The voice said, Say yes.

No. I don't want to.

Misery, this isn't a suggestion, it's a demand. SAY YES.

I heard my voice say, "Yeah, sure. A walk. Why not."

Immediately, I felt queasy, the room starting to spin, almost. "Ah, may I go back to my room?"

"Without breakfast?" my father asked.

"I'm... not really hungry." Without waiting for his answer, I stumbled back over to the room and huddled underneath the covers until the dizziness stopped. Even now, I wonder what happened back there.

There isn't much time to think. I've already had lunch now. Very soon, I'll have to go take a walk with Eris.

I've just realized that this is a perfect opportunity to get some answers. But... do I really want any? There's something about Eris that's just plain unnerving.

No comments:

Post a Comment